Friday, April 3, 2015

#WhyWeHost Reason #4: Because Christ Provided A Bridge To The Father

GUEST BLOGGER:  Barbie Dayberry  is the Safe Families Coordinator at College Park Church in Indianapolis.  Barbie shares her heart about hosting and College Park's One Day Training coming up this month on April 25.

The longer I've served with Safe Families, the more I’ve seen the distance between the "Haves" and the "Have-Nots” in life.  One of the supposed advantages to a comfortable life is that it can separate us from exposure to things that disturb us, make us sad, or make us fearful.  And truth be told, I love my safe life in the suburbs.  It feels so perfect. And while I’m missing the white picket fence (darn those HOA rules!), I am thankful for the comfort and safety our neighborhood provides my four small children. With that being said, I also don't want to bury myself so deep behind my metaphorical picket fence that I forget there is a hurting world on the other side of it.  That’s why I so wholly, emphatically, and passionately love Safe Families for Children ministry.  

I love it because it builds a bridge for me.  That bridge starts right outside my fence and ends right next to a family in need – a family I would’ve never seen, known, or even dreamed of before Safe Families.  I don't have to watch the news to find these families; Safe Families brings them hand-in-hand over the emotional and physical distance between us.  Yes, there is still work to be done in caring for a child that is not my own while a mother gets back on her feet again. Work that means wiping tears, making extra food, cleaning up extra toys, installing new car seats, and a myriad of other tasks that need to be fit into the margin of my already-busy life.  However, when the child’s time with me is done, we cross that same bridge again and return them to their home, which has hopefully become a better one during their time away.

Thanks to College Park, this year Safe Families is once again offering a "One Day Training" seminar on the day of SERVE|15 that allows interested families to join our ranks and cover some difficult ground in readying themselves to become a new destination for those crossing the bridge. We will be able to fingerprint, train, feed, and (as much as is possible) prepare families for the hard work of loving needy children.  These obstacles can take weeks on their own, but when we come together - we can help families get through those hurdles quickly and in good company.  For those of you who are already Safe Families or if you’re not in a season of life to host children, Safe Families is also facilitating a cleanup day during SERVE|15 for what we call our "Safe House." This project helps provide love and care for a family that Safe Families is trying to help get back on their feet. It will consist of landscaping and other house maintenance.  If you love to get your hands dirty and your heart full, this will be a great project for you!

If you have any questions about Safe Families for Children and what we do, please visit our website. I would also be happy to answer your questions.  In the meantime, I pray that all of us can find a bridge to those in need, just as Christ provided us a bridge to the Father.  As always, He will make a way.
Thank you all for your support.

-Barbie
Note: If you are in the Madison County area and are interested in attending this training or have questions, please contact Emma at ejohnson@safefamilies.net


No comments:

Post a Comment